Christmas Island - Single Status Certificate

WikiProcedures > Christmas_Island



It is advisable to follow the guidelines that certain authorities deem necessary. Those wishing to marry overseas will need special documentation. First, couples will have to present a declaration that is processed by your local office where marriage documents are produced. This must be from the state where you live in the Christmas Island. On this statement will be recorded the fact that there has not be any marriage in recent years.

Due to the fact that these types of documents are sought for foreign involvement one will need the local or state registrars account or declaration to be authenticated to work abroad.

  • Go to the Civil Registry office where marriages are registered.
  • Present and submit required documents.
  • Complete a form and declare.
  • Pay the fee.


Required Documents[edit]

All certificate applications must be accompanied by identification.To apply for your own certificate you must provide:

  • Three (3) forms of your own identification (see below).

To apply for a certificate on behalf of another person you must provide:

  • A letter giving permission from the person named on the certificate (include their address, daytime telephone number and signature).
  • Three (3) forms of identification from the person giving permission as shown below.
  • Three (3) forms of your own identification as shown below.

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Official Government Contacts

The Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development Contacts

Contacts for Attorney-Generals Department

Australian Embassies, high commissions, consulates, multilateral missions and representative offices



As at November 2013, the following Western Australian State Government agencies provide services to the Commonwealth for Christmas Island and the Cocos (Keeling) Islands under Service Delivery Arrangements.

Overseas marriage authorities often require evidence a party to the marriage is free to marry. Such evidence may be a Result of Marriage Certificate from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

This certifies that you have never been married in Australia, or if previously married, no further marriage has been registered in Australia. The Result of Marriage Search application is available from the download form below.

Single Status certificates are available residents or previous residents or their authorized representatives. It only covers the period in which you were a resident of Australia.


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever

Documents to Use[edit]

Single Status certificate application form


Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtubewidth = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 



The Shire of Christmas Island (SOCI) is responsible for the provision of local Government services to the Island.

All certificates are distributed through Registered Post and include postage and handling. However, this does not ensure next day delivery.

The Registry searches for any marriage that occurred after the age of 16, or the date of arrival in Australia. If you have been previously married, the search commences from the date the previous marriage ended.

Required Information[edit]

  • Full Name
  • Passport or ID number
  • Place and Date of Birth
  • Nationality
  • Statement
  • Date
  • Signature of the person who declares
  • Signature of the witnesses


Need for the Document[edit]

A Single Status Certificate or Affidavit also referred to as a No Marriage Affidavit, Certificate of Freedom to Marry or Certificate of No Impediment, is a sworn statement saying that you are eligible to marry.

As at November 2013, the following Western Australian State Government agencies provide services to the Commonwealth for Christmas Island and the Cocos (Keeling) Islands under Service Delivery Arrangements.

To prove single status for a given period within Australia, complete a: Single Status certificate application

You may require a Single Status certificate if you intend to be married overseas or if you are returning to your country of residence to be married. It certifies if you have been married in Australia during a specified period.

Information which might help[edit]

The Territory of Christmas Island is a territory of Australia in the Indian Ocean. It is called Christmas Island because it was discovered on Christmas Day.

The Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development has overall responsibility for the territories, including the provision of state-type services. However, additional government services to Christmas Island, such as those involving quarantine and customs, are the responsibility of the relevant Australian Government agencies.

All Service Delivery Arrangements are undertaken by the Western Australian Government.

Proof of Identity Documents

Three documents are required, one from each list below:

List 1 - Evidence of link between photo and signature

  • Australian driver licence (or learner permit)
  • Australian passport
  • Australian firearm licence
  • Overseas passport

List 2 - Evidence of operating in the community

  • Medicare card
  • Credit card or ATM card
  • Australian security guard or crowd controller licence
  • Marriage Certificate issued by the Victorian Registry
  • Student or tertiary identity card
  • Australian Citizenship Certificate
  • Standard Birth Certificate issued in Australia
  • Department of Veterans' Affairs card
  • Working with Children Check card

List 3 - Evidence of current residential address

  • Utility account (including gas, water, electricity, mobile or home phone)
  • Rates notice
  • Centrelink concession card (Pension Concession Card, Health Care Card or Commonwealth Seniors Health Card)
  • Bank statement (including passbook, credit, savings or cheque accounts)
  • Current lease or tenancy agreement
  • Superannuation fund statement

All applicants note

  • All documents must be current
  • If you cannot provide an identity document from List 1 you must provide two from List 2 and one from List 3
  • Your List 3 identity document must show your current residential address
  • A List 1 identity document can also be used as a List 3 identity document if it shows your current residential address
  • Bank statements, utility accounts, rates notices or superannuation fund statements must have been issued within the last 12 months
  • If you submit printed online bank, superannuation or utility statements they must have an official company letterhead or be stamped and approved by the bank, superannuation fund or utility company.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Overseas marriage authorities often require further evidence that the party is free to marry. Such evidence may be a statement from the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages that there is no record of the person having been previously married or a 'Single Status Certificate' or 'No Records Result'.

External Links[edit]

Official Government website

The Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development

Christmas Island


Please also be aware that a standard Single Status Certificate or Certificate of No Impediment may be insufficient on its own to allow a marriage to take place in a foreign country. You may be required by the foreign authorities to comply with the following, so please ensure that you allow sufficient time for processing.

  • Certificates may need to be translated.
  • Certificates may need to be endorsed or exchanged for a locally acceptable version issued by your Embassy or Consulate in the country where you will marry.
  • Certificates may need to be legalized i.e. stamped with an official stamp known as an Apostille.
  • Certificates may require that witnesses swear an Affidavit stating that you are free to marry and that this is appended.