Christmas Island - Police Clearance Certificate

WikiProcedures > Christmas_Island



You have two options for submitting your application:

  • Online;
  • A downloadable form which you may complete on your computer or print for completion by hand and submit via the post. As credit card details must not be submitted by email, emailed applications will not be accepted.

Before submitting an application you should ensure you are in a group to which the AFP provides National Police Checks, as detailed above, and that you have read and understand the Spent Convictions Scheme and how it applies to your application.

Online Application

The Online Application provides the ability to submit a complete application electronically. In using this facility you will be required to print and load a scanned consent form which will be generated during the process as well as scan and load identification documents and make payment by credit card. Processing will then commence immediately without the need to wait for further information. If using the online application you need to nominate an email address. This will be used to send you a receipt for your payment and to advise you once processing of your application has been completed.

Please note that you must use the consent form generated during the online process. The downloadable application is not suitable for this process and must not be used if applying online.

Downloadable Application

If you prefer to use the downloadable application, the completed form along with copies of your nominated identity documents and correct payment, must be posted.


Required Documents[edit]

  • Identification
  • Birth certificate

Office Locations & Contacts[edit]

Official government website

Official tourism website

Immigration offices Australia

Australian Embassies, high commissions, consulates, multilateral missions and representative offices



If you are over the age of 16 and have lived in Christmas Island for a total of one year or more in the last 10 years, you can get a police certificate from that country.

You are asked to certify that the personal information you have provided on the completed application form is correct. If it is subsequently discovered, for example as a result of a check of police records, that you have provided false or misleading information, or omitted to provide information that resulted in the application being false or misleading, you will have committed an offence against the Criminal Code Act 1995 and may be prosecuted.


Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.


For immigration purposes a police certificate is deemed to be valid for 12 months from the issue date.

Documents to Use[edit]

Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links


Sample Documents[edit]

Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.

Processing Time[edit]

The current processing time for a routine National Police Check is approximately 15 working days from the date it is received by Criminal Records.

Related Videos[edit]

Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtubewidth = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.e.g In the following url "" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M". 



For instructions on obtaining a certificate from an overseas government or law enforcement authority, refer to the relevant country information.

You should use the form and include details of any, and all, names you have been known by.

All other names by which you are known or have previously been known (such as your maiden name), must be provided in full, including given names. Check that your date of birth is correctly entered.

Full payment must accompany the application. You can pay using either Visa, Mastercard or American Express. Alternatively, for a manually completed application you may pay by bank cheque, which must be in Australian dollars, or money order obtainable from Australia Post. Personal and Company Cheques will not be accepted. Please do NOT send cash. Applications with incorrect amounts will not be processed.

Copies of identification documents totaling 100 points must be provided. Details of the points attributed to identification documents are provided as part of the application process. DO NOT SEND ORIGINAL IDENTIFICATION DOCUMENTS WITH YOUR APPLICATION.

Ensure all the necessary details are submitted, including signed consent and copies of identification documents. Please note parental consent will be required if the applicant is under 18 years of age.

For manually completed applications:

  • You must submit the form no more than three months after signing it.
  • Mark the appropriate check boxes with a cross (X).
  • Ensure you secure all paperwork, forms, payment, and identification to your application.
  • Ensure all the necessary details have been completed and the form is signed and dated.
  • The application form must be completed using block letters (ie capital/uppercase)
  • Bank cheques and money orders are to be in Australian dollars ($AUD) and are to be made payable to the Australian Federal Police.
  • If paying by bank cheque it must be from an Australian bank or financial institution affiliated with an Australian bank. Personal and Company cheques will not be accepted.
  • The correct payment must be included with all applications.
  • Do not include self-addressed/stamped envelopes for return of certificates. These will not be used or returned.

Required Information[edit]

  • Title (Mr, Mrs, Miss, Dr)
  • Surname/Family Name
  • First Names
  • Maiden/Former Names, or any other names used
  • Date of Birth
  • Gender
  • Place of Birth
  • Height
  • Home
  • Address
  • Postcode
  • Date From
  • Date To
  • Tel No
  • Email address


Need for the Document[edit]

Police certificates are also known as a penal clearance certificate in some countries. The certificate must cover the period of time from the issue date back to the age you ceased to be a minor, or must cover the whole time you were in a country.

Information which might help[edit]

You will not pass the character test if:

  • you have a substantial criminal record, meaning you have been sentenced to 12 months or more in prison, or multiple sentences that add up to more than 24 months in prison. A suspended sentence is considered a prison sentence.
  • you have been convicted of any offence that was committed while in immigration detention, during an escape from immigration detention, during a period where you escaped from immigration detention, or if you have been convicted of the offence of escaping from immigration detention
  • you have, or have had, an association with an individual, group or organisation suspected of having been, or being, involved in criminal conduct
  • having regard to your past and present criminal conduct, you are found not to be of good character
  • having regard to your past and present general conduct, you are found not to be of good character
  • there is a significant risk that you will engage in criminal conduct in Australia; or harass, molest, intimidate or stalk another person in Australia; or vilify a segment of the Australian community; or incite discord in the Australian community or in a segment of that community; or represent a danger to the Australian community or to a segment of that community.

Other uses of the Document/Certificate[edit]

Everyone who wants to a visa must be of good character and will be assessed against the character requirements. As part of your visa application, you might be required to provide a police clearance certificate or other evidence to satisfy the character requirements.

External Links[edit]


Information on how to obtain a certificate from a particular country can be subject to change without notice.

We recommend you check the website of the relevant authority in the country from which you are seeking the police certificateor the embassy or consulate websitefor up-to-date information on procedures.