- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Importing your pets:
- Have your pet examined by a veterinarian: You will need to have your pet examined by a certified veterinarian. Some of the documents that you will need to present when your pet arrives in Christmas Island will be issued by your vet. Your vet will also be able to provide you information on how you can go about bringing your pet abroad.
- Prepare necessary documents: Importation of dogs and cats into Christmas Island is prohibited by the Importation of Dogs and Cats Ordinance 1973, due to concerns about environmental, social, cultural, animal health and welfare issues. Get in touch with the Office of the Administrator of the Territory of Christmas Island in inquire about how you can obtain an import permit.
- If you are outside Christmas Island: You may use the link provided under "Office Locations & Contacts" to get in touch with the nearest Australian embassy in the country you are currently staying. The office may be able to provide you with information about pet passports or import permits for pets.
- Before you make arrangements to transport your pet: Make sure that you have all the required documents, and got in touch with the authority responsible with the import/export of live animals in the country where your pet will be coming from and in Christmas Island. If you are thinking of flying in with your pet, you may also try and contact the airline company, they may be able to provide additional information about pet passports and how you can bring your pet abroad.
- Quarantine: Christmas Island is home to some unique endemic species of wildlife. It is also free of many pests and diseases that are found in other parts of the world. The Department of Agriculture is the border agency charged with the task of protecting the environment and human health from pests or disease incursions. If you wish to know more about the quarantine requirements in Christmas Island, you should contact the Indian Ocean Territories office (contact information below).
List down the documents required for successfully completing the procedure.e.g.1. Proof of child birth from the Hospital.
Office Locations & Contacts
Administrator of the Territory of Christmas Island
PO Box 868, Christmas Island Indian Ocean WA 6798
Phone: 08 9164 8300
Indian Ocean Territories Office
Phone: 08 9164 7456
Fax: 08 9164 7468
Mobile: 0439 215 456
Department of Agriculture and Water Resources
General inquiry: 1800 900 090 or + 61 3 8318 6700 (from outside Australia)
National office: +61 2 6272 3933
GPO Box 858
Canberra City ACT 2601
Provide eligibility criteria's for going through this procedure.
Explain the fees structure which is required for obtaining the certificate/document.
Explain the time until which the certificate/document is valid.e.g. Birth Certificate Valid Forever
Documents to Use
Please attach documents that can be used by people. e.g. links
Please attach sample completed documents that would help other people.
Please explain processing time taken in obtaining the document/certificate.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtubewidth = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
Importation of dogs and cats into Christmas Island is prohibited by the Importation of Dogs and Cats Ordinance 1973, due to concerns about environmental, social, cultural, animal health and welfare issues.
Assistance Animals: The Administrator has the discretion to approve the importation of a dog if it is an assistance animal. If you wish to import an assistance animal, you must send a request in writing to the Administrator of the Territory of Christmas Island at PO Box 868, Christmas Island Indian Ocean WA 6798.
A list which displays the kind of information which is required to complete the procedure.e.g.1. Date of Birth.2. City or County of Birth.
Need for the Document
Please provide the need for the procedure.e.g. Birth Certificate - why do we need to have a birth certificate?
Information which might help
Enter other informations which might help
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
Please explain what are other uses of obtaining this document/certificate.e.g. Birth Certificate can be used as proof of identity.
More information which might help people.