- 1 Procedure
- 2 Required Documents
- 3 Office Locations & Contacts
- 4 Eligibility
- 5 Fees
- 6 Validity
- 7 Documents to Use
- 8 Sample Documents
- 9 Processing Time
- 10 Related Videos
- 11 Instructions
- 12 Required Information
- 13 Need for the Document
- 14 Information which might help
- 15 Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- 16 External Links
- 17 Others
Citizens, including children six years old and over, must go to a passport office of the Ministry of Interior and provide a photograph, the application form,
Provincial police offices also have passport outlets that receive passport applications for processing
Children under six years of age must present a birth certificate
Children under 18 years old must be accompanied by an immediate family member, such as one of their parents, the eldest brother, or an uncle, or by a legal guardian
- Complete and duly sign the relevant application form. Application forms are available in three languages (Dari, Pashto and English) and can be accessed from the application forms section below or consular forms.
- Provide (Three) standard passport size photos affixed to the appropriate box in the application form. Passport photos must be fresh, identical and taken directly off the face to show both ears.
- Provide original documents verifying their Afghan identity, including a Tazkira, a previous passport, a marriage certificate endorsed by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Kabul, and valid educational or professional documents.
- Fee: All New passports are issued for minimum of 5 years validity, therefore the fees will be per passport and must be paid by credit or debit card at the counter desk or paid at the bank by payment slip.
- However, the decision will be made based on an interview, to verify their identity, Applicants who does not have any original documents, must bring with them two Afghan Identity Guarantors. Identity guarantee forms can be printed from the application forms section below.
If you are applying by mail, please include a prepaid, self-addressed return envelope, large enough for the return of your passport and documents. You may use Certified or Registered mail, or any other traceable mailing service or courier to ensure safety of your passport).
- a completed and signed application form;
- three passport-size photographs;
- an original Afghan identity document, such as a tazkira (id card)
A person who cannot provide any of these documents must provide two Identity Guarantee Forms completed and signed by two Afghan citizens "of an established social or professional background
Office Locations & Contacts
Ministry of Interior
Official website of Afghanistan's Ministry of Interior. Provides news information regarding the ministry and its activities.
Website : Link
All Citizens of Afghanistan are eligible to apply for a new passport
Afghans can obtain an Afghan passport for traveling or identification purposes.
Individuals must carry their own passports. Therefore, the spouse and the children cannot be included in the same passport as their parents.
The cost of a new Afghan e-passport is 5,000 Afghanis ($100 US dollars)
An afghan passport is valid for maximum 5 years
Documents to Use
After you have submitted the completed application (s) with all the necessary documents and payments, new passport will be issued within 25 to 30 working days, and passport extension will take from 10 to 15 working days.
Videos explaining the procedure or to fill the applications. Attach videos using the following tag <&video type="website">video ID|width|height<&/video&> from external websites.Please remove the "&" inside the tags during implementation.Website = allocine, blip, dailymotion, facebook, gametrailers, googlevideo, html5, metacafe, myspace, revver, sevenload, viddler, vimeo, youku, youtubewidth = 560, height = 340, Video ID = Can be obtained from the URL of webpage where the video is displayed.e.g In the following url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0US7oR_t3M" Video ID is "Y0US7oR_t3M".
A business person wishing to obtain a business passport must, in addition to meeting the requirements for an ordinary passport, present his or her business license
A student wishing to obtain a student passport also must meet the requirements for an ordinary passport and submit a letter of offer from a foreign university
Student passports are issued only to higher education students
- Family Name
- Given Name
- Father's Name
- Grandfather's Name
- Date of Birth (Gregorian)
- Place of Birth
- Country/Province / State/District / Suburb/Village
- Marital Status
- Child: (under 18 years)
- Country of Residence
- Other Nationalities
- Height (cm)
- Hair Color
- Contact Details
- Email Address
- Mobile phone
- Employment Details
- Other Distinguishing Features
Need for the Document
The Afghan passport is issued to citizens of Afghanistan for international travel.
In March 2013, new international standard e-passports were introducedThe country issues five types of passports:
- Ordinary, issued by the Ministry of Interior to Afghan citizens and valid for five years;
- Official or service, issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to government employees travelling on official government business and valid for the term of deployment
- Diplomatic, issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to diplomats travelling on government business and valid for the term of deployment;
- Business, issued by the Ministry of Interior through the Ministry of Commerce and Industries to people holding a valid business license, and valid for five years;
- Student, issued by the Ministry of Interior through the Ministry of Higher Education to students with a letter of acceptance from a foreign university, and valid for five years.
Information which might help
Under current regulations, Embassies can only issue ordinary passports. For other types of passport, such diplomatic, service, student and so on, you can apply at the Department of Consular Affairs at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Kabul. On exceptional basis, the Consular section at the Embassy may extend the validity of service or student passports.Applicants for new passports abroad must apply in person by visiting or the Consular Section of the Embassy during the sections official opening hours.All applicants, whether applying for new passports or passport extensions must also:
- Submit documents verifying residency status in such as PR card, Landed Immigrant document or citizenship document
- Submit a document to verify current address, including driver's license, utility bills, municipal documents, etc.
- Make the necessary payments (see the fees schedule below)
- If applicable, submit a prepaid courier or registered, self-addressed return envelop or include an additional payment for postal charge, alongside the necessary fees.
Other uses of the Document/Certificate
- As a proof of identity
- As a proof of citizenship
Minors can be included on their parents' passports, but since it is common for other countries to require minors to have their own passports, the Afghan government can issue individual passports to minors